Gecko Steering Revision 3.0

What holds your Kart together? Wood? Steel Aluminum? Welded, bolted? How does it look? How does it turn, can it move?
Jason
Site Admin

Gecko Steering Revision 3.0

Post by Jason »

I am going to use this as sort of a dipository of theories, and assumptions that I am basing the 3rd version of steering on.

Features:
Steering Bar/Bike Handle style
Why? The steering bar is much easier to implement, BOM effective and one of the easiest ways to attach thumb throttle and brakes from a bike. The steering bar also clears knees and allows the driver to typically have a large mechanical advantage when turning.

CASTOR: Adjustable, sweet spot 10 degrees
Why? Because of my axle tube setup I have the ability to install my front end via ubolt, and rotate it to any position as long as I can reach the steering. Previous iterations as well as web searches as shown 10degrees to be a sweet spot. So this will be designed ideally at 10degrees, and adjustable from that point.

Camber: TBD
Why? Revision 1,2,2.5 did not have any intentional static camber. I went with 2degrees of negative camber. Need to build a set on this same steering with 0deg to see what difference it made. Compared to the previous version this is based off of, it did not seem to give me greater handling. More testing needed.

Toe in
Why? Traditionally we have run Toe in slightly. I intend at some point to test slightly toe out to see the difference. I have read both ways are the keys to success.... So more testing will be needed.

KPI (King Pin Inclination) This sometimes gets mistaken for camber, but is the angle the bolts holding your spindles on make.

Great Links
Basic chassis setup and explanations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0voTx7AuZQ

Early development of Revision 3
Quick shot of revision 3
Quick shot of revision 3
early Steering.PNG (243.1 KiB) Viewed 59515 times
Competitions
Power Racing Series 2016,2017,2018 RocketPop and Raphael
Battlebots 2018 TANTRUM