Makerbot Replicator Mini "repair"

Modifications and upgrades to anything. Electronics, machines, cars etc!
Jason
Site Admin

Makerbot Replicator Mini "repair"

Post by Jason »

I came across a Makerbot Replicator Mini on ebay for a low price "not working." It was suppose to not have the Smart Extruder, but to my surprise the machine came complete. I hooked it up and got ready for my first prints.

Problem
This printer refuses to feed material. During a print, or during "filament loading" the stepper motor makes a clicking sound and rocks back and forth. If I tell it to do a "filament unloading" it moves with zero issues. Long diagnostic story short, I was able to run the stepper completely unloaded, and it still clicks when trying to extrude. This 100% is not a filament jam, I've run the extruder open, with no heat nozzle present, I event removed the coupler nut and it still rocks back and forth. Hooking the stepper motor up to my Duet Wifi board, I was able to drive it forward and backwards without issue.

Diagnosis
After determining that it was not the stepper motor itself, nor a physical jam, the only part left that I believe could be at fault is the stepper controller, which I believe is located in the head of the unit. These two chips I believe are the stepper drivers. (yellow circle). I believe they are the drivers, in some capacity, due to identical pairs of these on the mainboard under the XY and Z steppers. Or the L(left?) R(right?) and Z ports as the board actually says.
Stepper Driver
Stepper Driver
IMG_20180121_1317584.jpg (93.24 KiB) Viewed 50120 times
Head board rear
Head board rear
IMG_20180121_1318172.jpg (224.24 KiB) Viewed 50119 times
Solution
The two chips have no markings or identifiers on them. So I have no way of sourcing and replacing the part. Makerbot is so locked down anymore reading forums of other people with this problem is like reading an Apple forum. "Take it back, call support, buy another one." So, the only logical course of action, and honestly the original plan all along is.... GUT the proprietary electrical, and wire in my Duet Wifi. Why? Because why not? I have the board waiting for me to finish my COREXY build, so in the meantime, it might as well get some use!
Head with wires
Head with wires
IMG_20180121_1831573.jpg (64.14 KiB) Viewed 50120 times
Top with Wires
Top with Wires
IMG_20180121_1941238.jpg (143.23 KiB) Viewed 50120 times
MakerBot Mini Frankenstein
MakerBot Mini Frankenstein
IMG_20180121_2007215.jpg (365.56 KiB) Viewed 50120 times
Goals/Details
Use as much of the original Makerbot as possible.
Learn how to use and setup the Duet wifi in general, so it can be transplanted into our COREXY build.
The usual printer upgrade parts for itself, and future printers.

So far the existing steppers, and mechanical system has been saved. The thermocouple was replaced with a thermistor due to not wanting to upgrade the Duet to handle the thermocouple. Mechanical endstops have been added until my Gcode knowledge is advanced enough to use current limited endstops.

Smart Extruder: The Smart Extruder has been turned into a regular extruder/heater. While the original setup included a optical rotation sensor to detect filament movement, a touch sensor to detect if filament was in at all, and a hall effect z probe, this has all been gutted. As knowledge progresses, some of these systems will be added back in. Currently none of the "head" boards are being used.

Helpful Links
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... CTde2CKCAg Potential Stepper information
Competitions
Power Racing Series 2016,2017,2018 RocketPop and Raphael
Battlebots 2018 TANTRUM
Jason
Site Admin

Re: Makerbot Replicator Mini "repair"

Post by Jason »

Setting up Makerbot Replicator Mini with Duet Wifi
Duet Wifi in base of MakerBot
Duet Wifi in base of MakerBot
IMG_20180125_2248436.jpg (144.81 KiB) Viewed 50083 times
I was finally able to convert the Makerbot to a Duet Wifi after much trial and error. Most of this due to the fact that I've never setup a hobby grade 3D printer before.

Here is the process I used.
  1. open RepRaps firmware generator tool here https://configurator.reprapfirmware.org/
  2. Setup for CoreXY, as that is the style printer the MakerBot Mini Replicator is. (Really and H bot, but who's counting)
  3. I used 100mm max for each direction.
  4. All the steppers are 1.8degree steppers. XY are on 18t pulleys so the calculator works it out to 88.889. Z Is a 3mm Leadscrew and works out to 1066.667 steps per mm.
  5. I found 800ma for motor current to be too high, they seem to just get warm during the job limited to 400ma.
    TBC
Competitions
Battlebots 2018 TANTRUM
Rick

Post by Rick »

How's this coming along?

Looks like it could be handy
LameDuck : 2018 Kokomo Maker Faire
The Joker : 2017 Lazy Gecko 500 Parking Lot Race
Pizza Time : 2017 Detroit Maker Fair
Jason
Site Admin

Post by Jason »

So far so good. I have it running the machine completely off the DUET wifi. Currently using an IR probe for Z axis homing, but going to switch to a BL touch version. I am also in the process of adding a heat bed to it, so that I can expand the materials that it can use. This and my other printer project have both gotten delayed from powerwheels, but hope to get to them again soon.
Competitions
Battlebots 2018 TANTRUM