DIY Tilt Hydrometer - iSpindle Source Code

General discussions of brewing
Dave_G

DIY Tilt Hydrometer - iSpindle Source Code

Post by Dave_G »

I've been wanting one of these for my brewing but hate to pay that sticker price, especially when i'd like 3 for my brewery.

https://tilthydrometer.com/

$135 x 3 = way too much $$$.

Enter the iSpindle. Source code developed in Germany, i've been unable to find an easy build and setup configuration for this device, but im hoping it will be pretty easy.

Current parts list is below:

1x Wemos D1 mini
1x GY-521 Gyro & Acceleration Sensor (MPU-6050 on suitable breakout board)
1x DS18B20 Temperature Sensor
1x Square grid 3x4cm or printed circuit board
1x Resistors - 4k7 ohms - 220k ohms - 470 ohms
1x microswitches Or at the PCB Reed Wechsler
1x Lipo charger TP4056 (6 pin recommended)

In place of the 3x4cm PCB i've opted for the community created board which has the traces already laid out for this build, and they're dirt cheap ordered through pcbs.io

https://pcbs.io/order/cc3e8a392dc8a9521 ... 75fa2716fc

This board should make the whole build quite simple.

Another component is the "Sled" which fits all this stuff. Obviously this needs to be water tight, as it will be living in the fermentor. The general build is to 3d print the sled which will fit inside one of the XXL PET Geocaching tubes which is actually a plastic bottle preform.

Anyway, this is just to dump all these links and thoughts onto one page. I'll update as i continue the build. Im currently waiting on the PCB's to ship, and the PET Bottles to get here. I have everything else.
Jason
Site Admin

Re: DIY Tilt Hydrometer - iSpindle Source Code

Post by Jason »

Awesome build, excited to see it in action. What sort of app/pc does this end up displaying to? How do you monitor the gravity day to day?
Competitions
Power Racing Series 2016,2017,2018 RocketPop and Raphael
Battlebots 2018 TANTRUM
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

From what i've gathered so far, i can set a time event (10min/30min, etc) where the device uploads data to a Udibots server. Im new to udibots, but it seems to be an IoT (Internet of things) monitoring online server where you can sync data. I may move this to my NAS drive as some type of server but i'll have to figure that out some other time.

After its syncing data, it will be displayed as a website address which i believe is hosted by Udibots.

They also have a TCP server which i've not looked at yet but im hoping to be able to host it on my NAS like i had mentioned and compile the data there.
Jason
Site Admin

Post by Jason »

Anyway to have it just sync to a google sheet?
Competitions
Power Racing Series 2016,2017,2018 RocketPop and Raphael
Battlebots 2018 TANTRUM
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Once its read in by whatever TCP server you use for getting the data, a script could easily be made to update a GDoc. Biggest thing is getting the data from the device, which even that shouldnt be that hard.